REQUEST FOR EXHIBITION PROPOSALS
Deadline Extended: March 18, at 5:00PM CST
The Milwaukee Artist Resource Network (MARN) is pleased to announce a Request for Proposals for an exhibition running April 16 to June 5, 2022 within the MARN ART + CULTURE HUB (191 N. Broadway, Milwaukee, WI). MARN is located in the Historic Third Ward of Milwaukee, WI, the traditional Potawatomi, Ho-Chunk and Menominee homeland where the people of Wisconsin’s sovereign Anishinaabe, Ho-Chunk, Menominee, Oneida and Mohican nations remain present.
Artists, curators, and cultural workers based within the Southeast Wisconsin region are invited to submit fully developed exhibition proposals and coinciding programming. MARN seeks exhibition proposals that push the boundaries of a traditional exhibition. Proposals that incorporate inclusivity, innovative ideas, socially engaged projects, community involvement, technology driven work, performance art, socially relevant content, and are responsive to the current environment are encouraged. Exhibitions that showcase a majority of work created within the last two years are preferred.
Each proposal must include at least one exhibition related event in addition to an opening or closing reception. Potential exhibition programming may include but is not limited to performance art, live music, live art-making, workshops, panel discussions, and artist talks.
Submission materials include a biography, work samples, a written proposal for the exhibition and programming, and an exhibition budget. The budget outline must include production fees, transportation costs, artist fees / honorariums, and special install materials / equipment. Maximum consideration will not exceed $1,500. It is recommended that submissions consist of work that can be ready for installation within two weeks and is representative of the proposed exhibition.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE EXTENDED: Friday, March 18, 2022 at 5:00PM CST
SELECTION NOTIFICATION: 11:59PM CST March 22, 2022
DROP OFF & INSTALL: April 12 – 15, 2022*
EXHIBITION RUN: April 16 – June 5, 2022*
DEINSTALL & PICK UP: June 6 – 8, 2022*
*MARN reserves the right to adjust this schedule if a need arises.
WHO CAN APPLY?
- All artists and curators are welcome to apply.
- Proposals may be submitted by individuals, pairs, collective, etc.
- All mediums are welcome, including but not limited to motion picture, 2D, 3D, installations, and performance art.
- All applicants must be based within the Southeast Wisconsin region.
- Applicants do not have to be MARN members to qualify.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions regarding your eligibility.
- Artists must wear masks over their nose and mouth when inside the MARN ART + CULTURE HUB to drop off, install, deinstall, pick up work, and participate in programming with no exceptions.
- Programming must follow MARN’s COVID-19 protocols as well as comply with the most up-to-date CDC guidelines.
- Selected applicants are responsible for arranging delivery of works and equipment to and from the gallery, including payment for transportation costs and parking.
- Selected applicants are expected to assist with the installation of the exhibition, coordinate with exhibiting artists, attend exhibition programming and promote the exhibition and programming.
- Artwork must be delivered and retrieved on time.
- Artwork must arrive ready to hang and / or present without alteration. D-rings with hanging wire are preferred for framed 2D works. Non-traditional works must arrive with clear instructions or be hung by the artist or artist representative.
- Artwork must be installed / presented in a professional manner.
- Artists must supply any special installation materials and equipment.
- Artwork must remain onsite until the end of the exhibition. No early pick-ups.
- Artists may choose to sell their work on display. MARN will receive a 30% commission from any sale during the duration of the exhibition.
- Artists may not donate or sell the exhibited artwork outside of MARN during the exhibition run.
- MARN will insure the work during the exhibition run.
- In support of the Milwaukee art community, MARN has decided to waive the submission fee.
- All proposals must consist of works ready for presentation within 2 weeks.
- Proposals that push the boundaries of a traditional exhibition are encouraged.
- Socially engaged projects, socially relevant content, community involved proposals, innovative ideas, technology driven projects, and proposals responsive to the current environment are encouraged.
- Please keep in mind that MARN’s exhibition space is open to the public and viewable by all ages.
- A single fully realized exhibition is preferred; however, multiple submissions may be selected depending on the body of applications.
- Applicants have access to utilize up to 120 linear feet of 10 foot high rearrangeable walls, 5 pedestals of various sizes, and up to three 50 inch LED TVs on movable carts in their display. Wall configurations must be developed alongside and approved by MARN’s Gallery Director.
- MARN’s Gallery & Exhibition Hall is approximately 1,800 square feet. See a floor plan with measurements at the end of this document.
- Selected applicants may be given the opportunity for further engagement in MARN’s MARKETPLACE and through online ecommerce sales.
HOW TO APPLY?
Please submit the following items online here by Friday, March 18, 2022 at 5:00PM CST. Please note, applicants must sign in or create a Submittable Account to access the submission form.
Late submissions will not be accepted. It is recommended that applicants submit at least 15 minutes prior to the deadline in the event that troubleshooting is required. MARN does not have access to draft submissions. MARN does not accept any applications through email or in person. If you have any issues submitting your application, please email email@example.com prior to the submission deadline.
APPLICANT INFO – SECTION 1/4 ( * = optional or does not affect eligibility)
- Applicant Info (name, organization*, pronouns*, student status*)
- Contact Info (address, phone, email, secondary form of communication*)
- Are you a MARN CREATIVE or CREATIVE BUSINESS Member?*
- If no, please submit your demographic information*
- 150 max word biography or organizational brief
- Website and / or Instagram Handle*
- How did you hear about this opportunity?*
WORK SAMPLES – SECTION 2/4
Note: if selected, submitted materials may be used for promotional and/or display purposes. Please submit accordingly.
- Submit 7 work samples in support of your proposal
- Image files must be .jpg or .png, a minimum of 72 dpi & 1200 pixels wide.
- Videos may be submitted either as a still with a link in the work description or uploaded fully as a file. Video files should be .mov or .mp4 and a minimum of 1080p.
- Files must be no larger than 5MB.
- Label each file: ArtistLastName_ArtistFirstName_Title_#
- Submit details for each work sample, including the following:
- Title, medium, dimensions, year, sale price
- Please take into consideration MARN’s 30% commission on artwork sales during the exhibition. If work is not for sale, indicate with NFS.
- 100 word max description of how this work fits into your written exhibition proposal. Please utilize this description to include any additional notes, links, and special install needs.
- MARN Gallery amenities include 10 foot high walls, 5 pedestals of various sizes, three 50 inch LED TVs on movable carts with media players.
- Title, medium, dimensions, year, sale price
WRITTEN PROPOSAL – SECTION 3/4
- 500 max word written proposal, including the following details:
- Participating artists’ names and any supporting info / links (portfolio, website, etc.)
- Exhibition title and statement with themes / concepts
- Description of the installation of the proposed exhibition within MARN’s Gallery & Exhibition Hall
- Plans for adaptation to or reinvention of MARN’s Gallery space. Include any special requirements or requests, especially in regards to install and presentation.
- 150 max word written proposal for at minimum one exhibition related event, including the following details:
- Plans for programming outside of a traditional opening reception.
- Type of event: panel discussions, artist talks, workshops, musicians, performances, community conversation, etc.
- Type of entry: free & open to the public, ticketed, etc.
- Anticipated # in attendance
- Outlined Budget for up to $1,500, including the following:
- Estimated costs for exhibition production
- Transportation Costs
- Materials and supplies (exhibition and programming)
- Honorariums and artist fees
IN AGREEMENT – SECTION 4/4
- (checkbox) Applicant understands that if selected this submission serves as a commitment to exhibit the selected work.
- (checkbox) Applicant agrees to wear a mask covering their nose and mouth when inside the MARN ART + CULTURE HUB with no exceptions.
This is a juried opportunity. Submissions will be reviewed by MARN’s Gallery Director and MARN’s Curatorial Advisory Committee. Selections will be based on the quality of the work, the professionalism of the application, the relevance of the content, and alignment with MARN’s mission, vision, and values. Applications that do not follow the specified guidelines for eligibility, formatting, and content will not be considered. However, submissions which challenge traditional interpretation of the request for proposal are welcome if the content is strong.
If selected, your application is considered a commitment to show the work submitted for the exhibition’s duration. Applicants will be notified with the results via email by 11:59PM CST March 22, 2022.
Contact MARN ART + CULTURE HUB’s Gallery Director, Riley Niemack, at firstname.lastname@example.org with further inquiries.