Summerfest Tech will be back in June, giving eight startups from around the world a chance to compete for $50,000.
Milwaukee World Festival, Inc. announced the 5th annual event will take place June 28-30 across the city, including at the Saint Kate – The Arts Hotel, the new BMO Tower, Milwaukee Artist Resource Network’s (MARN) new location in the Third Ward, and at Henry Maier Festival Park during Summerfest.
All programming will be free of charge.
The event will kick off with a happy hour on June 28 presented by Northwestern Mutual. Northwestern Mutual will also host a breakout session during Summerfest Tech.
On June 29, Chuck Swoboda, author of “The Innovator’s Spirit: Discover the Mindset to Pursue the Impossible,” will discuss the six principles that make up the Circle of Innovation and how to apply these principles in daily life.
Swoboda is currently the Innovator-in-residence at Marquette University, executive chairman of Vast Therapeutics, and the retired chairman and CEO Of Cree, Inc.
The main event — the Summerfest Tech Pitch Competition — will be held at 8 a.m. June 30 at the MARN Art + Culture Hub. Eight startups, including three with ties to southeast Wisconsin, were selected to present.
The startups will compete for a portion of the $50,000 cash prize funded by Molson Coors Beverage Co. The prize money is double the amount of last year.
The pitch competition is organized by Milwaukee’s Young Enterprising Society (YES).
- Cirkled-in – a portfolio company for students and colleges that tells a holistic story beyond numbers and academics.
- Fly Parrots – an AI-enhanced assistive parrot, giving those with neurological conditions a 360-degree field of vision, enhancing their ability to communicate, and uplifting their sense of independence.
- Huupe – The world’s first smart basketball hoop, with a high-definition screen for a backboard, which allows you to train like a pro, track your performance and play basketball against other huupe users right from your driveway.
- eCourt Reporters – platform that hosts videographers across the country who have experience filming depositions for use of their services in courtrooms, conference rooms, hospitals, and law firms.
- Kwema – A device that works inside and outside your workplace by anonymously connecting and sharing real-time information via Bluetooth beacons placed inside a building or with a smartphone GPS.
- Light Pong – The world’s first 1-dimensional (1D) gaming platform. Players can play different games, all on a single beam of light. Light Pong is portable, screenless, and extremely social.
- Rex Academy – an educational company that Offers Schools Coding and Engineering Curriculum, which does not require Computer Science background for faculty to teach.
For more details or to register, visit Summerfest.com/Tech.
Read the article written by Corrinne Hess in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel here.