MARNsalons Application Information
Salon 1 Applications open on December 28th 2020 – January 18, 2021.
Salon 2 Applications open on February 22 – March 15, 2021.
Salon 3 Applications open on April 26 – May 14, 2021. APPLY NOW!
For MARNsalons 2020/21 all events will be held virtually including the newly added MARNsalons Exhibition. If there are changes to the CDC guidelines and/or a vaccine makes it possible, we will consider holding the final exhibit for the season in person at our MARN location with an opening on September 24th 2021.
Historically, the MARNsalon Advisory Committee has hosted the guest critic along with local critics for on-site visits to artist’s studios, exhibitions, site-specific installations or other project spaces. This season we will hold these critiques virtually. The committee can work with you to provide a space for sharing your work for critique if necessary. We seek progressive, professional practices by artists and other cultural workers ready to engage with critique as an important tool for refining work and receiving feedback from a national and international perspective of contemporary production. Artists selected for critique will meet with our Program Coordinator for a preparatory virtual studio visit.
In addition to the critiques, MARNsalon participants will be invited to a virtual roundtable discussion with the guest and local critics based on the guest critic’s purview.
Who can apply:
- All artists open to professional critique are welcome to apply, however, undergraduate students must be in their senior year.
- Curators, gallerists, directors or other project leaders may apply on behalf of the artist(s) they work with for an exhibition or other project space. The artist(s) must be present for the critique.
Applicants are reviewed by the MARNsalon Advisory Committee and selected based on the quality of work, readiness for critique and the professionalism of the application. Applications that do not follow the specified guidelines for formatting and content will not be considered.
All applicants agree to:
- Prepare your studio, exhibition, project space or portfolio for a professional virtual critique with approximately 3 critics including guest critic. The MARNsalon Advisory Committee can work with you to provide a space for sharing your work for critique if necessary.
- For Studio Visit, prepare work for critique that can be described or experienced within 15 minutes so critics will have 45-60 minutes to engage the artist with critical dialogue.
- For Portfolio Review fill out the application and you will receive further info if you are selected. Prepare 5-7 images to be reviewed by the local critic. The artist will receive feedback on how to effectively and strategically create a portfolio to be used for potential submissions and applications.
- Attend a virtual roundtable discussion with audio/visual recording.
- Post Studio Visit; Applicants will submit a short statement (not less than 200 words) before the final exhibition (September of 2021) reflecting on your experience interacting with the guest critic, your take aways based on the critique and how the program has impacted your art practice.
- Post Portfolio Review; Applicants should submit a short statement (not less than 200 words) within two weeks of your review reflecting on your experience interacting with the guest critic, your take-aways based on the critique and how the program will impact your art practice.
- Studio Visit applicants: Participate in the final group exhibition in late September of 2021.
Applications for MARNsalon 3 are open. Apply here today: https://artsinmilwaukee.submittable.com/submit/193419/marnsalons-3-application
Please contact MARNsalons Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org