MARNmentors is a competitive, season-long artist mentorship program offering emerging artists the opportunity to partner with local established artists to further their artistic practice while engaging in building a career as a working artist. Within these exchanges, mentors help mentees develop project goals and overcome personal barriers that the mentee may identify. The goal is to empower and give accountability to the partnership so that 1) Mentors feel free to give aesthetic, moral and concrete support based on their experiences; and 2) Mentees are able to hold themselves accountable to their own goals.
Each pair of mentors and mentees work together for a season; some meet for a few hours each month for critique, others meet weekly for a more in-depth exchange of skills and ideas. At the end of each program cycle, MARNmentors culminates in an exhibition that highlights the professional and personal developments and collaborations between our talented mentors & mentees.
- Open to artists based in the Greater Milwaukee area.
- Ideal candidates show promise and dedication to their creative work as a career.
- Artists are at a moment in which access to a mentor and a supportive environment will be meaningful to their practice and arts career.
- Artists may NOT be currently enrolled in a degree-granting program or equivalent. (exception made for curatorial)
MARNmentors serves artists actively in need of career support and arts networking. Selected artists are expected to meet with Mentors for a minimum of 2 hours per month. Mentors and mentees create a flexible schedule based on availability of both parties. Additional components include workshops, business one-to-ones, networking events, and peer group critiques as desired by the cohort.
- Monthly mentor meetings to build meaningful relationships, networks and resources
- Work with your peers to creatively shape the mentorship according to your needs
- Gain exposure and expand your audience through MARN’s public programming
- Annual MARN Mentor/Mentee Exhibition will be held in our new MARN Art Gallery and Exhibition Hall.
- MARN marketing support, including press releases, website announcement, social media, and mailings
- MARNmentors works with you to develop a customized professional development plan based on your vision and personal goals
- Free access to educational workshops and business consultations
- One-on-one studio visit opportunities with prominent members of the greater arts community